Hayward Tuning Vine
Microtonal tuba player and composer Robin Hayward joins N.K. for a one-day introductory workshop on the recently developed Hayward Tuning Vine interface for Just Intonation.
Just Intonation is the system of microtonal tuning based on whole number frequency relationships, and is the acoustic basis underlying such musical intervals as the perfect fifth and major third, as well as less common microtonal intervals such as the septimal minor seventh and neutral sixth. Through colour-coding and spatialising the harmonic relationships, the Hayward Tuning Vine allows them to be explored intuitively, enabling them to be seen as well as heard. It therefore makes Just Intonation more accessible to people who might otherwise be put off by its apparently abstract and mathematical nature, and provides an ideal introduction to the theory and practice of microtonal music.
Minimum qualifications Some basic knowledge of music theory would be advisable, and either some competence on a sustaining pitch instrument or a willingness to use the voice to tune intervals. By far the most important factor though is a strong desire to learn about microtonality and willingness to try stuff out together with the other participants.
What to bring
• instrument or voice
• laptop computer with licenced copy of Hayward Tuning Vine software downloaded
Please preregister by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line
‘NK workshop 13.12.14′. Any questions concerning the workshop should also be sent to this email address. The maximum number of participants is 12, and the minimum number 6. Please register by 10th December at the latest.
Session 1, Saturday December 13th, 11:00 – 14:00
The Hayward Tuning Vine as an introduction to Just Intonation.
• demonstration of connection between ratios and musical intervals for prime
numbers 2, 3 and 5
• significance of prime numbers for Just Intonation
• notation cards: colour notation, ratios, cents
• ‘Flowers’ versus ‘Grapes’ view
• number boxes and transpositions
• MONO / POLY modes
• Options, Master Volume and parameter controls
• working up through prime numbers 7 to 23
• undertone row as mirror image of overtone row
Session 2, Saturday December 13th, 15:00 – 18:00
The Hayward Tuning Vine as a practical aid to tuning in Just Intonation.
• tuning ‘Pythogorean’ intervals: octaves, fifths and fourths
• tuning ‘Ptolemaic’ intervals: major and minor thirds and sixths
• significance of octave positioning for tuning intervals
• locating common overtones on the Vine when tuning intervals
• challenge of playing Just Intonation on acoustic instruments
• tuning septimal ‘blues’ intervals
• tuning ‘prime-limit 7′ chords based on prime numbers 2, 3, 5 and 7
- This plan is meant as a guide only and the actual workshop may deviate from it to some extent.
Language / Sprache
This workshop will take place in English. In case you are interested in attending a workshop in German, please contact email@example.com.
Dieser Workshop findet auf Englisch statt. Falls Sie Interesse haben, an einem deutschsprachigen Workshop teilzunehmen, bitte schreiben Sie eine Email an firstname.lastname@example.org.